About the HQCA
Also in this section
Improving healthcare together.
The Health Quality Council of Alberta (HQCA) is a valued part of Alberta’s healthcare system.
Who are we
- We are a provincial agency that brings together patients, families, and our partners from across healthcare and academia to inspire improvement in patient safety, person-centred care, and health service quality.
- Our mandate is legislated in The Health Quality of Council of Alberta Act.
- We report to the Minister of Health and operate independently from Alberta Health Services and Alberta Health to bring an objective perspective to the health system.
- We are grateful to work, live and learn on the traditional treaty territories and Métis lands in Alberta.
What we do
- We engage with Albertans as well as our healthcare partners on their experiences and perspectives. We aim to be inclusive and value a plurality of voices from across the province. Those diverse voices are represented in everything we do.
- We assess the evidence in front of us and believe in the power of information. This includes evaluating, reviewing, researching and analyzing information objectively – from the most relevant healthcare sources. We use this valuable data to help inform our recommendations.
- We pursue improvement. We work with our health system partners who can take action on our findings and improve the experiences, outcomes, and value for Albertans.